D-Bus Spec change: dashes in interface names

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Oct 15 06:34:31 PDT 2006

The D-Bus Specification says this about interfaces:

==========
* Each element must only contain the ASCII characters "[A-Z][a-z][0-9]_"
and must not begin with a digit.

DNS Domain names in ASCII are restricted to LDH - Letters, Digits,
Hyphens. However, the spec forbids interfaces like
org.my-organisation.Interface. On the other hand, underscores are
permitted. Is there any strong reason why this is so?

If not, I ask for the change to be implemented as soon as possible, before
1.0.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358