[ANNOUNCE] D-Bus 1.0 RC 2 (0.94) released

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Oct 15 07:52:15 PDT 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:
>On Sat, 2006-10-14 at 18:29 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>> I wonder which distribution will be the first one to accidentally get
>> the machine uuid file in the file list of the package and thus have
>> the same id for all machines running that os ...
>
>Suppose this happens (and it will), what things will it break and how?
>Any security implications?

It means the X11 selection atom will be the same for all running
instances. If any machine 1 tries to auto-start the D-Bus daemon and find
machine's 2 X11 atom, the program will fail to start the bus.

>What happens if the uuid file is not there?

Each time the bus auto-start is attempted, a new dbus-daemon is spawned.
So what happens is that there are as many session busses running as there
are programs trying to access them. And they don't talk to each other.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358