D-Bus Spec change: dashes in interface names

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Sun Oct 15 14:11:00 PDT 2006

Thiago Macieira wrote:

> Each concept has a different rule:
> Interfaces:
> 	can use underscore
> 	can NOT use hyphen
> 	can NOT begin with digits
>
> bus names (not unique connection names):
> 	can use underscore
> 	can use hyphen
> 	can NOT begin with digits
>
> object paths:
> 	can use underscore
> 	can NOT use hyphen
> 	can begin with digits

Right, so I believe the rationales for the differences are:
  - interfaces have the "able to be a C/C++/Java/Python identifier" rules
  - bus names can have hyphen for dcop compatibility iirc but were
    originally the same rules as interfaces - maybe we should say
    hyphen is discouraged ? (do I remember this right?)
  - object paths don't allow hyphen just to ensure a consistent
    convention, but there's no expectation they'd be used
    as an identifier so they can start with digits