patch or not patch ?

frederic heem frederic.heem at telsey.it
Mon Oct 16 08:55:54 PDT 2006

Alle 17:41, lunedì 16 ottobre 2006, Havoc Pennington ha scritto:
> frederic heem wrote:
> > As long as the libraries have been patched, configure with different
> > options, there is little chance they will binary compatible
>
> This is untrue; distributions are pretty disciplined about not diverging
> their library API/ABIs from upstream. Historically dbus upstream has
> changed ABI, so distributions may have different versions, but once all
> distributions have dbus 1.0 you can expect the same API/ABI. dbus does
> not have configure options that change the API afaik, and if it did they
> would be for embedded use, not distributions.

The problem is not related to API/ABI. A patch modify the behavior of the
library, so if my app is tested with the default library, the behavior of the
app may differ with the patch library. Ok, it's likely to work, the risk is
present.
The original post is to kindly request to the fedora packager and the dbus
maintainer to apply patches to the dbus source repository. That' all.