[rfc] move activation to a helper process

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Oct 19 07:38:41 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 10:27 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is sort of a half-review, but a few comments from skimming:
>
>   - Sending all those DBUS_MAXIMUM_NAME_LENGTH blocks that are usually
>     mostly-nul seems a little wasteful, despite premature optimization
>     and all that ...
>   - Why not send the .service file name instead of the bus name to
>     activate, then we don't need the inefficient
>     _scan_service_dir_for_desktop_file

I would rather not have the bus tied to the .service file and instead
leave that as an implementation detail for the daemon (perhaps with some
standard behind it).  The reason I say this is on OLPC we might want to
make our own daemon which forks and loads python files to avoid the
overhead of loading another instance of python.

The daemon itself should cache service files the way D-Bus does now.