[patch] small fixes

Milosz Derezynski internalerror at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 17:46:44 PDT 2006

On 10/24/06, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 18:38 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > >
> I also think another idea is to enable people to use the same file for
> both a desktop file and a service, e.g. you could have both [Desktop
> Entry] and [D-BUS Service] in it. Not sure how useful that is though.
>
>      David

FWIW, i think this is actually useful. If anyone followed Alexander Weej's
"debate" on applications being singletons by means of D-BUS activation, this
would be basically just it.

Actually, not quite (yet..), because this hypothetical file as David just
described, one that contains keys under [Desktop], and others under [D-BUS
Service], would have 2 distinct means of lanuching that application, for one
using the Exec= key of [Desktop] and the Exec= key of [D-BUS Service], so
basically so far, behaviour would be undefined.

However i would like to annotate that we use this exact scheme for approx. 1
year with BMP: we have one 'remote' binary that merely launches the main app
using activation and/or passes commands to it trough D-BUS, and the main
binary constitutes the actual application. The whole point to begin with
with this were 2 reasons: 1) To ensure that there is always once instance at
a time to avoid race conditions using the database (if someone launches the
main binary a second time manually, he's on his own) and 2) We didn't want
to make BMP being capable of being a client to it's own service (think of
having to start a Mozilla instance to pass on a remote command to a running
Mozilla instance)

Ok this has gotten somewhat offtopic now so i'll just shut it but in any
case I wanted to take the chance to raise the attention a little for a
potential spec in which a .desktop file can be a .service file at the same
time.