1.0 ABI guarantees, static linking, reimplementation

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Oct 30 08:58:23 PST 2006

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> I believe Skype statically links 0.22 in.

Ow, I doubt that even works with our current version - did we really
never change the protocol since then? ;-)

> We can lock this stuff down for 1.0 and say that 1.2 is allowed to break
> compatibility if the necessity arises.

Right, needless to say even if we leave ourselves some loopholes to make
needed changes, we'd want to do it in real releases only not in point
releases, and take other steps to keep things as painless as possible.