OLPC and .service files in a users home directory

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Oct 30 09:52:07 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 13:22 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> An issue arose within OLPC dealing with activating activities.  In
> OLPC's sugar environment we use D-Bus extensively for activating what we
> call activities.  Activities are just apps that integrate with the sugar
> environment.  We are moving away from the traditional install everything
> in system directories to what we call bundles which are a lot like the
> MacOSX app bundles in that they are self contained and installing them
> is a matter of copying to the correct directory.

Yes, I'd say it's a 1.0 goal to make sure that D-Bus works in setups
where software is not centrally managed. Projects like autopackage also
comes to mind.

> There are a couple of ways we can go about this.  We can expand
> variables in the path that start with the dollar sign (e.g.
> <servicedir>$HOME/.dbus/service</service>) or add a special tag (e.g.

Some attribute in <servicedir> is probably nicer. For example

 <servicedir homedir="true">.dbus-1/services</servicedir>

Probably need to work on naming the attribute. I suck at naming things.

     David