dbus logo (RE: Improving freedesktop.org)

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Sep 1 09:25:49 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 08:55 +0100, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
>
> > We've had a D-Bus logo.  We haven't used it except for a presentation I
> > gave at a Boston GNOME Summit but here it is.  We have SVG's of it also
> > if needed.  We should most likely edit it to say D-Bus instead of D-BUS.
>
> Your logo is far better than Waldo's (nice concept, but it doesn't come
> off well), but I think the bus logo is far too corny. I could imagine
> that sort of thing with something like the USB logo in the circle, for
> example, but the bus joke is just that and I don't like to see it go
> further to be part of the official branding.
>
> I don't have a better suggestion yet, but I'll let you know if I do.

I disagree here.  The bus metaphor is central to the whole technology.
Yes it is a joke but it gets us away from the stodgy technical mumbo
jumbo that plagues technologies like CORBA.  There is a reason why D-Bus
became so popular so fast and it is not its technical superiority.  It
was because it was approachable.  Being playful and maxing out our use
of this metaphor helps a lot with this approachability.