DBus & Python

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Mon Apr 2 10:48:10 PDT 2007

Hi,

Robert Rawlins wrote:
> Pyhton - ImportError: No module named dbus

Python can't find the dbus module, it's probably installed in the wrong
place

> Introspect error: The name org.bluez was not provided by any .service files

The org.bluez service file is probably installed in the wrong place or
not installed

> dbus.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to
> connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused

This may mean you did not start up the system bus, or don't have a
working init script for it.

> Does anyone have any idea what might be causing me all these issues? I
> would be appreciative if someone could give me a list of all the
> programs i should be installing, and what order they should be installed in.

This is a little smartass, but unless you're just trying to learn how to
debug things like this, I would say your order of install is:

  1) some distribution that already has this stuff packaged in working
     form
  2) dbus and dbus-python packages from said distribution

Then you will have a few days of time you can spend on something else...