DBus Threading in a Late-loading module

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Apr 4 14:00:20 PDT 2007

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>It certainly is not easy to mix multiple "frameworks" like GTK and Qt
>right now; the exact same problem we're talking about for DBusConnection
>was recently discussed on gtk-devel-list with respect to the X display.
>GDK effectively forms a "binding" for the X display, and someone was
>attempting to allow both GTK and Qt to use the same Display*.
>
>I'm certainly open to fixing this but I'm not sure what we can do.

Hmm... that's a difficult question.

I initially proposed that we enforce a global mainloop library that
toolkits have to use.

However, this will not make bindings to toolkits that are "more closed"
like Java (which is no longer using libdbus-1, but was at a point) use
such a mainloop.

So we're at an impasse.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358