Security concerns on the Windows DBUS port

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat Apr 7 12:29:00 PDT 2007

Fan Wu schrieb:
> Thanks for the response Ralf!
>
> I think the problem with windows named pipe is you can't do poll on
> it. If so the problem can probably be solved by adding a wrapper
> around WaitforMultipleObjects().
This was already evaluated see
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2006-December/006631.html.

> The auto-launch support is not enough to secure/authenticate the TCP
> connection. The fundamental issue is you can't trust the information
> "as told" by the peer. You can only trust the info as told by the OS,
> like the credentials passed in Unix Domain socket. Or in WIndows Vista
> (ONLY), the named pipe  server can obtain peer credentials thru calls
> like GetNamedPipeClientProcessID().
I understand from your answer that named pipe is only usable on Windows
Vista. What kind of transport should be used to have a serious solution
for Windows2000/XP ? Is it possible to emulate
GetNamedPipeClientProcessID and similar required from
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365781.aspx with other
functions ?

Regards
Ralf