C convenience lib (was Re: Is dbus_pending_call_set_notify() thread safe?)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Aug 2 10:01:52 PDT 2007

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>So, if there is a change you want to make to libdbus, it might be worth
>trying to explain it in smaller words for me, or send me to the
>archives, etc. - don't just be silently frustrated please ;-)

Automatic thread initialisation is one thing. Don't make me call
dbus_threads_init/dbus_threads_init_default because that breaks the state
the mutexes and wait-conditions keep. That simple thing will allow QtDBus
and another binding to work on the same process at the same time.

Add the DBUS_VERSION macro so that I can update the code I create without
tricky configure-time checks.

Right now, QtDBus will not handle the shared DBusConnection-s. If a
library or a plugin wants to use those, it must make sure something is
handling the mainloop integration. I have no solution for this one. And I
don't plan to make QtDBus handle them anyways. So I'd recommend moving to
*deprecating* the shared connections completely.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358