GNOME and dbus (was Re: C convenience lib (was Re: Is dbus_pending_call_set_notify() thread safe?))

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Aug 2 18:27:01 PDT 2007

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> From a GNOME standpoint, the first two would be *huge* and make a giant
>difference, allowing the entire platform to finally be sanely put
>together instead of jumping through
>this-can't-be-in-gtk-due-to-dependencies hoops. Also it would greatly
>cut down on the lines of dbus-related code in C apps and libraries.

I know the feeling. We are faced with the same problem: QtDBus and QtGui
are unrelated libraries (one doesn't depend on the other).

But things like accessibility, desktop integration, etc., would greatly
benefit from D-Bus calls. However, we aren't linking to QtDBus, so we
can't provide them.

The solution I have in mind is to use plugins...

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358