DBus Extensions

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Sun Aug 12 15:14:41 PDT 2007

On Sat Aug 11 19:48, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> New types and protocol extension:
> I, for one, have no interest or need for any new types on D-Bus. The only
> that makes a bit of sense to me is an empty variant (variant carrying
> nothing). A maybe-type would be a distant second to me.
>
> That said, however, I do have an interest in keeping the protocol
> backwards compatible whenever possible and also allow for future
> expansions without the pain we're seeing now. This is the part where I
> have to collect my ideas and write a better email explaining.

I'd like to weigh in and say that I am not keen on anything being
nullable, or arbitrary 'maybe' types. I think the only thing which is
really necessary along those lines is empty variants (I'd like to say
variants can only contain a real type or nothing, not another variant. I
see a whole lot less need to be able to nest them than I do to have
empty ones. Maybe variant(variant(int 0)) could be a code for
variant()).

As far as adding other types goes, I'm happy with adding floats, but
have yet to see good arguments for anything other than those two. Adding
arbitrary maybes makes my like a lot harder and will probably just
result in lots of wrapper classes all over the place.

Matt

--
www.matthew.ath.cx
D-Bus Java