DBus Extensions

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 19:57:39 PDT 2007

Hi,

I wonder if we need a concept of *both* intersection and union -
sometimes people want to work with all the common languages, and
sometimes they want to be able to round trip anything they can express
in their language of choice.

Though whether this means "there is some kind of flag in the protocol or
introspection data" or "the protocol has the union of interesting type
systems, and you should stay away from certain stuff by convention most
of the time" I don't know.

This "both" idea sets off some alarm bells for me, to be honest - it's
just complicated and is one more thing to think about when people
clearly find dbus too complex already. But, thought I'd mention it.