Problem connecting DBus java and c-windbus (2)

Matthew Johnson dbus at matthew.ath.cx
Tue Aug 28 16:02:58 PDT 2007

On Tue Aug 28 16:19, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 8/27/07, Matthew Johnson <dbus at matthew.ath.cx> wrote:
> > Specifically, the EXTERNAL auth mechanism refers to writing an
> > authentication string to a file and reading it back to prove that you
> > have access to the file (typically to the user's home directory).
>
> The cookie file is DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1; EXTERNAL refers to using some
> outside mechanism (separate from the protocol) to authenticate, such
> as reading credentials from the socket using getsockopt()
>
> In other words EXTERNAL means "authenticate me somehow, I'll wait but
> can't give you any auth information in-band" and DBUS_COOKIE_SHA1
> means "I want to authenticate by giving you a cookie I read from a
> file"

Um, yes, that's entirely what I meant. EXTERNAL doesn't work at all over
TCP, AFAIK (the only implementation is SO_PASS_CRED on Unix sockets,
which clearly doesn't work on either TCP or Windows), I don't know why
it is trying that.

> It isn't currently documented how either of these work on Windows, nor
> am I confident they work in an ideal way, but I don't really have the
> knowledge to say how they should work. It would seem logical to me
> perhaps to just stick the auth cookie in the per-user registry on
> Windows? But I don't know for sure that no other user can read that.

I don't know either, neither do I know of any way to access this from
Java. I see no reason not to use a file as with the Unix TCP solution.
This would work with shared SMB directories as with shared NFS home
directories (maybe).

Matt

--
www.matthew.ath.cx