Signal for property changes

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Sat Dec 8 04:33:54 PST 2007

Hi,

I was playing with the idea of replacing most method calls of the BlueZ
API with the generic org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties interface. This
would reduce the code a lot and allow more generic UI applications.
However one thing is missing here. When a property changes, either due
to an application setting it or due to a system event, we need a signal
that will be send out. Otherwise all UI application have to poll the bus
for property updates, which is bad.

So what about adding a signal to the properties introspection that
allows us to do this officially? Something like

  org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Changed (STRING interface_name,
                                           STRING property_name,
                                           VARIANT value);

Comments?

Regards