Signal for property changes

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Sat Dec 8 06:53:35 PST 2007

Hi Thiago,

> >actually if we have that signal, it should mean exactly that. If you use
> >the Set method to change the property, the signal should be emitted. In
> >case the property value is changed via a system event or an external
> >tool or whatever, the signal should also be emitted. This is the only
> >way to keep property values in sync with UI applications without polling
> >all the time.
>
> Then we cannot have that signal, because it cannot be emitted for all
> property change.
>
> Some property changes happen without the D-Bus glue code knowing about it.
> Therefore, it cannot emit the signal.

did you read the second paragraph of my response? I see that issue and
thus we annotate the properties that do know and in that case we can
send out that signal.

Since the D-Bus glue code is responsible for handling the properties
interface anyway (nothing in the D-Bus low-level does) it is fully
possible to do this nicely and without breaking current applications.

Regards

Marcel