Properties interface enhancements (was: Signal for property changes)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Dec 10 07:50:48 PST 2007

On Monday 10 December 2007 16:33:17 John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> Well, this is how signals work though you still have one trip to the
> bus.  Are you proposing the client filter out signals that have not been
> connected to?  That is kind of hard to do given I could add a match
> which listens for all properties named 'myproperty' in which case do you
> tell all the clients?  Also there is a race there from the time it
> should emit the signal to the time it receives the message that is
> should be allowed to emit the signal.

No, I'm proposing that potential listeners actively make a call to the
destination object requesting that signals for the properties be emitted.

Simple implementations can just ignore the call (accepting it and returning a
valid method_reply immediately) and emit the signals anyways. More complex
implementations with tens or hundreds of objects would decide which
properties/objects to send signals for, avoiding unnecessary context-switches
to dbus-daemon.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358