Performance: (was Re: [Accessibility] Re: [Accessibility-atspi] D-Bus AT-SPI - The way forward)

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 09:10:18 PST 2007

Hi,

Michael Meeks wrote:

> 	I thought we were comparing ORBit2 & d-bus, is a raw socket a trivial
> ping character back/forth type app ? [ it'd be interesting to know what
> the theoretical maximum was for that for sure ].

Right, when I was profiling stuff my baseline was just a pair of
processes that did read() and write() on "char buf[128]" or something,
blocking in each direction. i.e. attempting to profile purely the cost
of the read and write.

iirc ORBit was not dramatically slower than that raw socket case, so I
think dbus:orbit and dbus:sockets is about the same measure. But, it was
many years ago.