dbus-test: behavioral uncertainty

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Feb 5 04:32:04 PST 2007

On Monday 05 February 2007 12:20, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > I am working on an implementation of the dbus-test interface for the Qt3
> > bindings and I am testing against libdbus-java-1.13
>
> Cool, I'm happy to see more bindings implementing the tests. I know I
> found a bunch of bugs through them. Can I download the bindings and
> tests anywhere to try running them? There are also tests for the python
> binding as well.

I have a couple of local changes which I want to commit before creating a new
tar-archive, but you can do a checkout here:
svn co svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/work/dbus-qt4-qt3backport

I think I can do a new source archive later on today if you rather wait for
that.

The test suite's build system assumes it can find the bindings through
pkg-config, i.e. you'll need to install them into some prefix and then set
the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable accordingly.

Building and starting can be done through either the main Makefile or the one
in the test directory itself, I tested with symlinking the main directory into
the dbus-test one.

Uh, oh, and I just see that one has to build the xml->cpp code generator
manually as well :(

Better wait until I had a chance to fix this, I'll report back when I am done.

> The behavior I intended and implemented in Java was as follows:
>
> Client            Server
> --------------------------
> MethodCall -------->
>         <---------- Triggered
> Trigger ----------->
>         <---------- Callback
>
> This may, on reflection, be unclear (although I though the accompanying
> documentation explained it). I would have no objection to changing the
> interfaces around to be clearer.

I guess I just assumed to much :)

My implementation is based on the assumption that the server implements all
the interfaces on the /Test object and the client uses them.
But I see the value in testing "mixed" usage, I'll try to change this tonight
as well.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the test suite, I found a lot of issues I hadn't come
across in any "real world" use cases I implemented.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring