gnome-keyring should use DBus for discovery

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Feb 13 12:31:14 PST 2007

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>Parallel install will be of limited value most likely if any *libraries*
>in the typical GNOME/GTK stack use dbus-glib, because you'll probably
>still use some of the same symbol names. That is, as soon as a lib in
>the stack uses a dbus-glib ABI, that ABI is locked in.

Not really. dbus-glib is a C library, so you can use a linker version
script. I don't know if there's precedent for that in glib/gtk or GNOME
libraries. I don't even know if it would be welcome.

For any and all functions that you do change in a BIC manner, you have to
provide a versioned symbol and add a linker script.

The question is: is this a linker feature that dbus-glib wants to depend
on? It works on ELF platforms, but I have no idea about non-ELF ones
(notably, MacOS X and Windows).

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358