Question on service activation

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Feb 23 04:36:24 PST 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 10:29, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Celso Pinto wrote:
> > When a 3rd party application, let's say OOo, wants to send an email,
> > it asks the broker for the default provider of the org.fd.Email by
> > invoking the broker.GetDefaultProvider method. This method returns the
> > "activatable" service name (which is, _by convention_, the same as the
> > bus name: org.gnome.Evolution) and the path for the object once it's
> > accessible (e.g. /org/gnome/Evolution, again a convention).
> >
> > With this information, OOo can ask DBUS to activate the dbus service
> > org.gnome.Evolution. If it isn't running it'll be started, otherwise
> > DBUS returns a result code saying that this service is already
> > running.
>
> No, this is the wrong model IMHO. I think that whoever defines the
> 'standard email client interface' (eg fd.o) should define a bus name,
> object path(s) and interface(s). A client wishing to send an email
> should call a standard method/interface on a well known (generic) email
> bus name on a defined object. Any client wishing to be a default email
> client should activate that name. There should then be a separate
> mechanism for defining which app should be activated for that name.

That's why this thread is quite long already.
A model like this needs to have a way to ensure that the owner of the name is
the preferred email client.

If none is running that is a given, since the bus will only activate the
preferred one.
However, there needs to be a way for either the email client to check whether
it is allowed to request the name or to deny the request for anyone else.

Thiago already said that the latter can only be achieved by requesting the
names very early on in a desktop's startup sequence.

We could go for the explicit check though, unless this interferes with the
activation procedure.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring