Running dbus-glib-0.73/test/test-service

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Feb 27 14:34:51 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 12:42 -0800, Shilpa Sheoran wrote:
> All,
>   I'mm looking for some test applications that use DBU + Glib. I came across
> dbus-glib-0.73/test/test-service
>

> I have launched dbus
>  dbus-launch --config-file=/home/shilpa/dbus/install/etc/dbus-1/session.conf
> This config file is the default file that is created when dbus is built.
> and set the env variables to
>
> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-o3OZaTCMTz,guid=b14572ae838e2827cff8240045e47beb
> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID=5208
>
> I see the dbus-daemon is started.
>
> when I run dbus-glib-0.73/test/test-service, it seems to hang.. I
> guess waiting for some message. I don't get any error message.
>
> What sort of a test program is this and how can I run it properly?
>
> Are there other sample test programs available that we can run which
> communicate between two processes?

It is meant to run with the internal regression test suite (make check).
I'm not sure if GLib has standalone example code. In D-Bus we often make
a distinction between tests and examples.  Examples show how to use the
public functionality where as tests are often hacks which run under
tight environments and use calls which are not public API in order to
test base functionality and regressions.