[patch] dbus system activation

Rudi Cilibrasi, Ph.D. cilibrar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 21:19:39 PDT 2007

Hi Thiago,

On 6/13/07, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> Rudi Cilibrasi, Ph.D. wrote:
> >Would it make sense to just have some sort of "include file" facility
> > for /usr/share/dbus/services and let the OS config tools / sysadmins
> > handle the organization? Best regards,
>
> Sorry, I did not understand you. What do you mean?
>
> The paths for those can be defined in the system.conf and session.conf
> files. However, changing them might not be wise: program installations
> will create files in those dirs and expect them to work.

I meant that we can avoid having to have more than one application change
the
same file by using  file-inclusion  the same way other servers or software
systems
that must share config information do.  Here is an example:

grep /etc/default/rcS /etc/init.d/*

/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh:    . /etc/default/rcS
/etc/init.d/x11-common:. /etc/default/rcS
... etc.

The thing to notice here is that in the language being used (sh), there is a
"modular"
include facility using the "source" (".") command that lets more than one
"init script"
load the same adjustable config file in a shared way that lets the sysadmin
and
developers work out their own organization and plan to prevent the system
tools from
messing up config files.  Notice that the files in /etc/init.d can often be
customized by
the user on a per-application basis, but still they both use a common file
also.  This is
a nice flexible design I think.  So this is only possible with languages
that support some sort of inclusion of a file within a file like "#include"
in C, or "require" in Ruby.
I was suggesting that we make sure the services file language supports some
sort of arbitrary inclusion in this way so that is makes it easier
to manage shared or strangely changing config files.  So it was supposed to
address your
concern of not having more than one application have to potentially adjust
the same file and
therefore interfere with each other.  Best regards,

Rudi