default tcp host

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Jun 14 08:18:21 PDT 2007

Hi,

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> We could explicitly call gethostname() to retrieve the local hosts'
> primary name & put that into the address in the INADDR_ANY scenario
> which is basically what X does for DISPLAY env IIRC.

That sounds fine to me. If you want to make this change and anything
else outstanding, I'll try to have a look at the patch later.

You're right that there are no real tests for TCP, and there also aren't
really tests for the ANONYMOUS support I added (well, the dbus-auth.c
part has unit tests, but there are no tests that use the whole
connection->transport->auth conglomerate).

To test the basics we could probably do a test daemon that listens on
localhost and connects to itself, similar in spirit to all the gunge in
bus/dispatch.c, or perhaps we could even just extend dispatch.c to use a
localhost tcp in addition to the "debug pipe" thing. Another approach is
a "client-driven" test as in test-name etc. in the test/ dir, where we
start up a test daemon and have a client do various things to it.

It's also possible to do the "mock" thing where you factor out an
interface depended on by the thing you want to test, and write a stub
implementation of the interface for test purposes.

In the end though there just isn't a lot of test coverage right now for
the stuff that strongly depends on the environment we run in (password
db, DNS, etc.)