default tcp host

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 07:53:00 PDT 2007

Hi,

Simon McVittie wrote:
>> Somewhat different: for what I am doing right now, I'm essentially
>> telling Avahi to advertise a D-Bus server on all interfaces on the
>> machine; Avahi figures out and tells the remote system the
>> hostname/address/port of each D-Bus server socket, so in this case the
>> D-Bus server itself does not really need to be able to report a valid
>> remote hostname. The D-Bus server itself does need to be able to listen
>> on all interfaces, though.
>
> The remote client should be able to construct a D-Bus address from the
> information available from Avahi

Right, that's what I was trying to say ;-) ("server itself does not
really need to be able to report a valid remote hostname")

For the remote-X-server-type case, though, or a case that was more
traditional network server (think Apache), I think reporting the
hostname might be good.

In all those cases it may not be strictly necessary though, I guess.