[rfc] Activating Common Services

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Jun 19 07:53:59 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 13:14 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I've build rpm's of my latest patch, and all appears to be working well
> on my F7 system. I'll get on and write the unit tests, but I wanted to
> spend a moment discussing actually _activating_ services like HAL and
> NetworkManager.

These services form a core part of the OS insofar that they actually
monitor (asynchronously of course) things like batteries, networking
etc; they are not supposed to be activated, rather they are supposed to
be started as part of the boot sequence much like any other core part of
the OS.

System-bus activation is mostly only useful for privileged helpers; one
way I like to think about it is that it's an extremely nice replacement
for setuid root binaries.

> So, is HAL wrong to register itself on the bus before adding all the
> coldplug devices

Actually FYI that bug was introduced on HEAD (by one of your bugfixes
even!); 0.5.9 is (almost) fine - it will get fixed for 0.5.10.

    David