[rfc] Activating Common Services

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 09:52:08 PDT 2007

2007/6/19, Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Michael Biebl wrote:
> > (For 0.7 it's planned to have a system daemon which can pass
> > configuration data to NM, so it will be possible to also establish
> > connections which require a key).
> >

> Is there any discussion of this config daemon anywhere? Who is working
> on it?

It's on the NM 0.7 Todo List [1] and there also was some discussion on
the NM m-l [2].

> (If it's a general system config daemon, I have some views on how that
> should work - basically it should be the same as the session config
> daemon, but with the per-user config data dropped out. This is offtopic
> for dbus list though.)

That' s correct. I just wanted to make the point, that the assumption
that NM only has to be started upon request of nm-applet is not
correct. Having NM started as system service during startup has still
valid use cases.

Michael

[1] http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerToDo
universe are pointed away from Earth?