Bad Dbus Install, sample program

dave dfeustel at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 24 05:00:34 PDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 01:53:15AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> dfeustel at mindspring.com wrote:
> >The Install of dbus-1.0 does not copy the file
> >dbus-arch-deps.h into /usr/local/dbus-1.0/dbus.
> >

> This file should be copied to /usr/local/lib/dbus-1.0/include/dbus since
> it is architecture dependent. (different for x86_64 and x86 for example)

The file is there. I copied that file to /usr/local/include/dbus for convenience
since I will only be compiling for OpenBSD 4.1 AMD 64-bit mode.

> This ends up on the include path if you use the output of
> "pkg-config --cflags dbus-1"

Pkg-config and the flag are new to me. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

> >Also, the sample program in the wiki
> >(http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-tutorial.html#sample-program-1)
> >does not compile. First, because the include file setup is not correct.
>
> It is correct if you build with the output of
> "pkg-config --cflags dbus-glib-1"

I have a minor configuration problem which I need to fix:

/home/daf/Dbus/dbus-1.0.2}pkg-config --cflags dbus-glib-1
Package dbus-glib-1 was not found in the pkg-config search path
/home/daf/Dbus/dbus-1.0.2}

dbus-0.94, dbus-glib-0.72 and dbus-python-0.80 are what is available from the
OpenBSD package repository. I can delete dbus 1.02 and install the three
dbus packages for OpenBSD 4.1 or build a new version of dbus-glib.

> >Second, because there are undefined functions and variables in the
> >sample code.
>
> Possible (don't know if that code is up to date) but be sure you link
> with "pkg-config --libs dbus-glib-1"
>
> Normally pkg-config is used with backticks:
>
>  cc -O2 -g -Wall `pkg-config --cflags --libs dbus-glib-1` foo.c -o foo
>
> Note that ` is not the same as '

Yup.

> Or if you have autoconf set up, use the m4 macros that come with pkg-config.
>
> The man page for pkg-config has some more detail, or look at pretty much
> any desktop-ish open source app's source code for an example.
>
> pkg-config should probably be mentioned in the dbus docs somewhere if it
> isn't, but I guess it's just sort of assumed along with usage of the C
> compiler and so forth so nobody thought to mention it.
>
> Havoc

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to learning how to use DBus.
Dave Feustel
--
Don't Worry. Be Happy.