Plugin-based auth/transport (WAS: SSH transport)

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Fri Mar 2 08:55:51 PST 2007

Zeeshan Ali wrote:

> 1. OpenSSH does X forwarding because there is a widely-used use-case
> for that: Joe ssh to his office computer and then happily uses X apps.

This same exact use-case needs dbus forwarding, because the idea is that
virtually all modern apps will be using dbus to talk amongst themselves.
In other words, DISPLAY and DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS both define your
login session, and those two env variables should always be kept together.

The case for dbus forwarding in openssh is very strong, it's just a
matter probably of whether the openssh maintainers are open to it. As a
first step someone should probably ask them. (I don't know if they will
have any familiarity with what dbus is or how the desktops use it, so
there may be a lot of explaining mixed in with the asking.)