win32 dbus_connection_get_unix_user() problem

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Thu Mar 8 21:19:48 PST 2007

The problem is the Unix/Linux API of dbus.
It is optimized for Unix/Linux, and it is not platform
independent.

All we can do is to implement a interface on the Windows
side. Does a C developer know what this is?
(sorry for the choke).

To provide a platform independent API is not our
job, especially because the code isn't understandable,
when you are not a full time developer working on dbus.
It is the job of the lib creator/designer, so back to
the drawing board.

Before I start to change the API of dbus, I'll reeimplemet
dbus with C++ and QtCore as basis, maybe I get sponsored by
Trolltech ;).

We cannot change hundreds of functions without understanding
the code, we could only implement some platform specific
functions, and test if they work. Currently all bugs of our
code only pops up as a bug somewhere in the depth of dbus's
endless function calls. We can't debug this.

So please provide a platform independent API, and a clear interface
to the system functions/types. We can't do this.

I've not a problem with a long term winDBus-project on sourceforge
(I don't wanna call it fork.) All we can do we've done.

It was easier to port Qt3/X11 to Windows than dbus!

Peter