Fwd: Re: just what is a Tube?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Mar 27 12:19:54 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 20:54, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Thomas Zander wrote:
> > I've been having some discussions about how to set up a communications
> > protocol between different wordprocessors and different bibliographic
> > software with the OOo people. (Mathias Bauer specifically).
> > We kind of hit a dead end in that their idea was that DBUs was not mature
> > enough and that UNU (the OOo IPC layer) would be a much better choice.
>
> This is sort of odd, dbus is certainly mature now that it's at 1.0, but
> more importantly UNO is not an IPC layer, it's an object/component
> system... (the dbus FAQ has some discussion of why I think this is an
> important distinction - in short UNO is like QObject/COM/XPCOM, not like
> DCOP/D-Bus/DCOM/SOAP)

Hi Havoc.

I agree, I'm not at all fully informed; but his view of the technologies is
indeed best described as odd. Well, I personally think that anyone that wants
to use SOAP for a new technology falls in the 'odd' category ;)  ymmv.

not one to make implications without reference here are some links; (sorry
these are the only online archive of that ML I could find)
http://www.nabble.com/-sw-discussion--zotero-and-OOo-tf3149957.html
and continued on;
http://www.nabble.com/Re:-Fwd:-Re:-zotero-and-OOo-tf3212653.html

--