Using corba IDL to describe DBus services ?

Jacques Guillou jacques.guillou at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 08:55:04 PDT 2007

Hello,

I'm trying to find which kind of syntax would be good to describe services
exposed on DBus in a more flexible way that the current introspection XML
format.
As far as I know, defining a data structure is not possible with the current
introspection format. The only thing you can do is to define a method which
takes a structure as a parameter, but you can't give this structure a name
that the stub generators will use to generate a C struct or a java class. Is
that right ?
Basically, we need to build a system out of many DBus services (written in
different languages), which exchange some complex data structures.
Therefore we need a way to describe these data structure and generate some
C/C++ headers, java files, and DBus stubs out of these definitions.
Wouldn't it be good to use a corba IDL syntax to describe the APIs, with
some modified stubs generator which produce the DBus bindings ?
Isn't it a problem encountered during the migration of GNOME or KDE to DBus
? How are the dbus APIs from these desktop applications defined ?

Thanks

Jacques