Performance of DBUS with multiple nodes

Jacques Guillou jacques.guillou at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 03:53:53 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have a few questions for you :
We have 2 possible designs for our product. Either we expose every single
feature as a separate node (and we would have up to 1000 nodes, many of them
implementing the same interface), or we aggregate the features into a few
"supernodes". Some people here may think the second solution is not as
elegant as the first solution in some aspects.

The questions :
Does the DBus forwarding performance decrease when many nodes are registered
to the bus ?
What about the memory usage ? Is the introspection data stored for each node
in the daemon itself or is it accessed on demand ? Would there be a way to
make sure that nodes which have the same introspection data (same methods
signature, ...) share a unique introspection data string in memory ?

Thank you

Jacques