DBUS API questions

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu May 3 02:49:15 PDT 2007

Hey David, Michael,

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 13:02 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 03:05 -0500, Michael E Brown wrote:
<snip>
> > Speaking to the kernel thing: I think I have pointed out in a few other
> > forums that this is the wrong way to go in my case. Most of the Dell
> > stuff can more easily implemented almost entirely in userspace. It
> > doesnt make much sense to me to push all that parsing stuff into the
> > kernel when I can just as easily do it in userspace.
>
> Yeah, I don't disagree with you on that one. I was just pointing out the
> flexibility of having abstraction in HAL etc.

I'd rather see an easy-to-use high-level C API which HAL can use, rather
than another D-Bus service (see things like hplip which end up running
on all the default Fedora installs even if you don't have any HP
printers or scanners).

The current API looks very much like bit-banging. Having a glib-ish (or
at least clean C) API would help more than a D-Bus service would.

Cheers

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>