Windows D-Bus Maturity

Justin Tulloss jmtulloss at gmail.com
Tue May 29 23:10:12 PDT 2007

Hello,

I'm a bit of d-bus newbie and I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am
developing an application in which the back end is written entirely in
managed code (C#), but the gui and a few other components are written in a
variety of languages, mostly Python. I see DBUS as a very clean way of tying
these worlds together without constantly worrying about what language and
platform I'm running on. However, I do want to support Windows. Is this
possible with the current implementation?

I've seen two options, WinDBus and managed dbus from NDesk. I'm a little
confused on how it works though. In Linux, I have a dbus daemon that manages
the buses. Do either of these implementations have a daemon (or service, I
suppose it's called on Windows)? If not, does it really matter? I really
like the DBUS event loop and service activation, but it seems like both of
those would require a daemon to be running.

As you can see, I'm a little fuzzy on how d-bus actually works and how I can
get it running on Windows. Right now it seems like it can't really happen,
but I don't want that to be the case since I don't really see any other good
IPC alternatives.

Thanks for all your help.

Justin