Annotation type for an asyncronous method using dbus qt3 binding

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Nov 5 07:27:26 PST 2007

Em Monday 05 November 2007 15:33:08 Gökçen Eraslan escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing policykit-kde which is KDE counterpart of PolicyKit-gnome. I
> use this[1] qt3 binding of dbus, but i couldn't find out what i should
> write as annotation type of my asyncronous method in xml description file.
>
> PolicyKit-gnome application uses this for a similar method:
> <annotation name="org.freedesktop.DBus.GLib.Async" value=""/>
>
> Since name attribute includes "GLib" i couldn't be sure about using this.
> Is this the suitable one for the binding i use and method i wrote, or what
> else i can use as an annotation type of my asyncronous method?

I think you're looking for the annotation:

	org.freedesktop.DBus.Method.NoReply

That is also what Qt 4 uses. It means the method will not post a reply --
which is equivalent to DCOP's return type "ASYNC".

The GLib annotation you found is really GLib-specific: it means that the
binding tool will generate code for a method that replies asynchronously, but
still posts a reply. Or was it to receive a reply asynchronously?

Well, it doesn't matter -- it's an implementation detail of the GLib code and
does not affect callers/receivers of other bindings.

Mandatory question: why are you writing KDE 3 code?

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358