[patch] Make dbus-launch always (if possible) save session?information in X11

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Tue Nov 20 01:24:35 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:06:06AM +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 at 07:49:37 +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > And it shouldn't start a new bus if that information is available.
> >
> > That will make overriding a bit difficult (i.e., intentionally launching a
> > second bus daemon).
>
> If you do this, please provide some reliable way to start a new session
> bus - perhaps `dbus-launch --new` or `dbus-new-session` - for running
> regression tests on things that use D-Bus. Telepathy, for instance,
> would really benefit from this.

I think it's fair to expect that dbus-launch without the autolaunch arguments
does indeed launch a new session bus. So my patch doesn't change that semantic
and i'm pretty sure we shouldn't.

What the patch does allow is to do dbus-launch --autolaunch <machine id> <app>,
which does indeed only start a new bus if needed. Which is nice for wrapper
scripts of programs using a native binding for dbus that does't implement
autolaunching..

  Sjoerd
--
If you keep anything long enough, you can throw it away.