D-bus for remote X session

Csillag Kristof csillag.kristof.ext at united-consult.hu
Sat Nov 24 02:19:22 PST 2007

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Csillag Kristof wrote:
>> Should I try to configure a bridge between the two D-Buses?
>> (Does D-bus support this already?)
> There's no built-in support in dbus for this kind of scenario... to be
> honest I'm not sure how it should work.
Fortunately, it turned out that the goal can be achieved without doing this.
>> Can I make this work somehow?
>>
> My guess is that you can't make it work without modifying the software
> packages (one or more of BlueZ, the apps, and/or dbus).
Good news: it _does_ work! :) Here is how to do it:

  1. start the X server on the client
  2. start the gnome session on the server
     (LTSP handles the first two steps automatically.)
  3. from your gnome session running on the server,
      open an SSH session to the client
  4. set the DISPLAY variable to the local X server (:6 in LTSP)
  5. start the bluetooth-applet
      (Steps 3-5 can be done automatically, from a script.)

If I do this, the BlueTooth applet automagically appears in the tray
applet! (This is cool, because the tray applet is sitting on the
gnome panel which is running on the server, but the locally running
bluetooth-applet finds it anyway.)

After this, the bluetooth-applet works just fine. (Asks for PIN, etc.)

> Probably a solution here should consider not only Bluetooth but also
> audio devices and so forth.
I can handle remote audio devices with PulseAudio just fine.

> David Zeuthen could already have a plan for this, worth asking.
>
> Anyway, I doubt it works out of the box already without hacking on the
> software, but I could always be surprised ;-)
Here you go :)

This works, almost out-of-the-box.

     Kristof