Fwd: disappearing messages with dbus_connection_read_write_dispatch & dbus_connection_pop_message

Tim Wuyts Tim.Wuyts at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 07:11:58 PDT 2007

Dear Havoc,

i've found the problem:
When you call dbus_connection_read_write(-1) in conjunction with
dbus_connection_pop_message(), you should pop all messages from the
queue before calling dbus_connection_read_write(-1) again. If you
don't, weird things happen.

I had my 'Eureka' moment when I saw this in the verbose output:

Message 0x804de68 (4 /org/freedesktop/DBus org.freedesktop.DBus
NameAcquired 's') removed from incoming queue 0x804c748, 2 incoming

indicating that the popped message was not for my app, but had a
'/org/freedesktop/DBus' path, and that there was more than 1 incoming
msg in the queue.

Thanks again for your insights.

Kind regards,
Tim