Democracy player does not work on Debian lenny

Eric JAUNY ririkourou94 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 04:08:29 PDT 2007

Dear all,

on Debian lenny (28th Aug, build #2), as Democracy player did not came up
when I was using the Applications/Sound & video/Democracy TV (Gnome
graphical environment), I finally decided to launch it via a Xterm window. I
got the following errors .

lns-bzn-52-82-65-65-142:~# /usr/bin/democracyplayer
/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus_bindings.py:1: DeprecationWarning:
The dbus_bindings module is not public API and will go away soon.

Most uses of dbus_bindings are applications catching the exception
dbus.dbus_bindings.DBusException. You should use dbus.DBusException
instead (this is compatible with all dbus-python versions since 0.40.2).

If you need additional public API, please contact the maintainers via
<dbus at lists.freedesktop.org>.

  from dbus.dbus_bindings import *
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/democracyplayer", line 89, in ?
    onetime.OneTime()
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/democracy/onetime.py", line 106,
in __init__
    dbus.service.Object.__init__(self, bus_name,
'/org/participatoryculture/dtv/OneTime')
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/service.py", line 455, in
__init__
    self.add_to_connection(conn, object_path)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.4/dbus/service.py", line 544, in
add_to_connection
    connection._register_object_path(path, self._message_cb,
AttributeError: 'BusNameFlags' object has no attribute
'_register_object_path'
Exception exceptions.NameError: "global name 'dbus_bindings' is not defined"
in <bound method BusNameFlags.__del__ of < dbus.service.BusName
org.participatoryculture.dtv.onetime on <dbus._dbus.SessionBus (session) at
-0x48ca45e4> at -0x48ca1d34>> ignored
lns-bzn-52-82-65-65-142:~#

Then I launched the Synaptic package manager; to look for "dbus" stuff
already installed :
* dbus version 1.1.1-3
* dbus-x11 version 1.1.1-3
* libdbus version 1.1.1-3
* libdbus-glib-1-2 version 0.74-1
* libndesk-dbus1.0-cil version 0.4.2-1
* libndesk-dbus-glib1.0-cil version 0.4.2-1
* python-dbus version 0.82.0-1
* pidgin version 2.0.1-1

What you I do to make DemocracyTV working on Debian Lenny (build #2 of
August 29th). Many thanks in anticipation.

PS : I'm sorry, but I did sent this post on Sept. 3rd. I received an ack
saying that my post needed the dbus moderator approval. I never received
this approval. At that time, I was not registered as a dbus mailing list
member.