About performance of D-Bus

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 12:15:16 PDT 2007

2007/10/25, Havoc Pennington <hp at redhat.com>:
> It would be nice if someone worked on dbus performance and cooked up
> some patches, though I do think for a whole desktop like GNOME or KDE,
> dbus is probably 2% of overall desktop performance, so even a 50% dbus
> speedup is only a 1% user-visible speedup. For non-desktop contexts,
> dbus performance could be a much bigger issue.

One thing that could be useful to profile before doing any performance
work is how much traffic does the steadily increasing D-Bus adoption
actually generate? Does it peak at any time so that the effect could
be visible?

I'm not sure if the D-Bus daemon already has such logging facilities,
but storing information on the amount of messages, average/peak sizes
of payloads and identifying who sends how much during regural daily
usage should be very interesting to chart.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi