dbus-send and method call with dictionaries

Vincent Génieux vincent.genieux at enensys.com
Tue Sep 4 01:10:23 PDT 2007

hi everybody,

I tried to test a dbus self made service (in python) with the dbus-send
command line utility.

I have some methods using dictionaries in parameters and I have some
trouble using them with dbus-send:

Calling a method with in_signature='a{ss}' seems to work using the
following command line:
# dbus-send --dest="org.designfu.TestService"
/org/designfu/TestService/object org.designfu.TestService.method1
dict:string:string:key1,value1,key2,value2,key3,value3

Now i would like to have a dictionary with a variant type for values
(in_signature=a{sv}), but I don't know if it is possible:
# dbus-send --dest="org.designfu.TestService"
/org/designfu/TestService/object org.designfu.TestService.method2
dict:string:variant:key1,string:entry1,key2,int32:42,key3,boolean:true

any idea ?

regards,

--
Vincent Genieux.