Some odd issues with D-Bus on Solaris

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Sep 10 05:14:32 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 12:51 -0500, Brian Cameron wrote:

> Could you list common things that use such system-wide services?
> I think this might help me understand if we are shipping such things
> on Solaris.  (aside from PackageKit).

Since this is new nothing uses it at this point. But the general idea is
that things that are systemwide services could be launched on demand
when they first get a message (i.e. first use) rather than on init time.
A simple example of this would be something like cups. For client
machines there is no need to start cups on init. Another example would
be hardware specific daemons like what some hp printers/scanners has.