git migration

Ryan Lortie desrt at desrt.ca
Thu Sep 13 10:39:21 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-13-09 at 18:26 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 at 12:52:32 -0400, Ryan Lortie wrote:
> > I've setup a git repository at http://git.desrt.ca/dbus.git that is a
> > clone of the current CVS (HEAD and branches/tags).
>
> Would this be a good time to split out the spec and any other
> implementation-independent documentation into a separate repository?

Since CVS tracks files independently we could make it appear as though
the spec had never been part of the reference implementation.  This is
probably extremely crack though, since we'd end up with ChangeLog
entries referring to nothing...  I generally think that this is a Bad
Idea.

Aside from that, splitting the spec out of the reference implementation
is rather orthogonal to changing version control systems.

Why hasn't anybody done the split already?  Was there something that
made it difficult?

Cheers