dbus: Proposed relicense to MIT/X11

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Sep 13 12:48:55 PDT 2007

Ryan Lortie wrote:
>This combination of licences prevents some free software applications
>from legally using dbus.  A very simple example is GPLv3 applications
>(GPL versions 2 and 3 are incompatible).  There are other examples as
>well.

That's a fallacy.

GPLv3 applications can use D-Bus because it's licensed "GPL version 2 or
any later version". The only file not to be licensed like that is
dbus-md5.c, which is licensed under a BSD-like very liberal license. (I'm
not counting test programs)

I find nothing wrong with the initiative as a license-cleanup, but the
email is misleading. It exaggerates the need to change.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358