git migration

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Sep 13 13:24:40 PDT 2007

Havoc Pennington wrote:
>I had the impression I was the only one "against"[1] moving to git, so
>I told Ryan it was probably fine.
>
>If anyone is strongly against it then start a discussion about why,
>otherwise we'll give it a try.

My only objection is doing this without some thinking before and then
splintering the community.

That said, I do approve of a move to git.

I can think of the following arguments against it (and rebuttals):

- can't access git over my company's firewall
  huh? How are you accessing CVS now?

- can't easily install it on Windows
  msysgit has made a lot of progress recently and we have developers using
  it exclusively at the office instead of p4.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358