git migration

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 00:11:23 PDT 2007

On 13/09/2007, Daniel P. Berrange <dan at berrange.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 03:46:13PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had the impression I was the only one "against"[1] moving to git, so
> > I told Ryan it was probably fine.
> >
> > If anyone is strongly against it then start a discussion about why,
> > otherwise we'll give it a try.
>
> No objections from me. Though I've not seriously used GIT yet, it seems
> to have worked out very well for the DBus bindings & other f.d.o projects.

When developing the system activation bits and bobs I was using a git
repo and just using a branch upstream-cvs when I did cvs up's. This
mostly worked, until files were renamed, removed or created, when it
broke horribly. If DBUS has used git a few months ago, the system
activation branch would have been much easier to merge and test and
saved me many hours of cursing CVS.

+1 for moving to git from me.

Richard.